Salary: £33,000 - £35,000pa
Location: Ref: SCCM Infra
Infrastructure Support Engineer – Hamilton – Fixed-Term - £33,000 - £35,000 per annum
My client, a public sector organisation is the provider of Management Information Systems to Local Authority Education across Scotland. It develops, provides and supports a range of MIS solutions that enable the statutory and discretionary responsibilities of councils and schools to be discharged.
The Infrastructure Support Engineer is an important role within the organisation, reporting to the organisation’s Infrastructure Manager and working within a small, multi-disciplinary Infrastructure team responsible for all aspects of infrastructure support and administration. You should be able to demonstrate a broad range of ICT Infrastructure skills to 2nd Line Support level whilst operating within a dynamic environment.
The team have responsibility for operational service delivery, the role covers the proactive areas of support including monitoring and preventative maintenance of all Infrastructure related services, servers and hardware. Additionally support is provided to the clients’ corporate workstation file, print & application services for around 70 office based staff.
Primary Areas of Responsibility include:-
• Working to ensure that the organisation meets or exceeds published KPI’s for service availability and performance
• Ensuring compliance with operational policies and procedures, including in the areas of joiners / leavers processes, access control, system monitoring, updates / patching, backup / restores and AV / malware protection
• Conducting scheduled security patch deployment to required systems. Participating in the monthly operational security review and providing timely updates for management reporting.
• Monitoring and reporting on completion of scheduled backups of operational systems, working to resolve any issues / exceptions. Scheduling jobs where required to meet the organisations backup policy
• Monitoring and responding to Infrastructure related Helpdesk calls / Jira Work items, acting to ensure that actions are conducted within agreed SLA’s
• Conduct and Collating into reports the results of Daily / Weekly / Monthly scheduled checks on systems, to ensure performance and availability are maintained
• Utilising the Microsoft System Centre Operations Manager to conduct performance and availability monitoring of infrastructure level components including SAN (IBM), Compute/Blade Technologies (IBM/Dell), Multi segregated Vlan Networks (Cisco / Checkpoint).
• Administration of key internal systems including, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Email (Exchange > O365),
• Providing effective contributions as part of team workload planning, escalating any risks / issues to line management as appropriate
• Responding to queries from users on corporate workstation file, print & application services providing related guidance and support
• Management of the workstation estate from physical installation to decommissioning, including creation and update to centrally deployed OS images and applications utilising Microsoft System Centre Configuration Manager
Technical Knowledge & Experience
A working knowledge of Microsoft’s System Centre components (Operations Manager, Configuration Manager, Virtual Machine Manager) will be utilised to support and maintain the office and datacentre environments and are a key skill requirement as the candidate will be working deeply with these technologies daily, conducting proactive monitoring, support and maintenance (including performance / error alerts & OS and middle tier application level patching etc.) of the segregated estates using these technologies.
• Microsoft System centre components OM CM VMM • Windows 10 Clients / Server 2012 R2 Servers • TCP/IP, DNS/DHCP Zone & Scope Management • Site Office and Remote User VPN Technologies • Multi Domain Active Directory & Group Policy • Backup Technologies (Hyper-V & File / SQL Datasets) • Microsoft Exchange / Office 365 User & Mailbox management
It would be advantageous for applicants to have a working knowledge and understanding in the following:
• Clustered Microsoft Hyper-V • Enterprise Level Storage and Compute Technologies • Firewall ACL Management (preferably Cisco, Checkpoint) • Centos Linux as VM workloads • MS SQL Server, MySQL
• Organised and able to manage / prioritise a multi-dimensional, dynamic work load • Strong multitasking & problem solving abilities developed in an enterprise environment • Able to remain calm under pressure and to take effective decisions • Creative & Lateral thinker • Excellent interpersonal skills • Team player
This post is excepted in terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 2003.
The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal records check provided by Disclosure Scotland